Friday 1 June 2012

Art: Francis Anabo


I'm Francis, 20. You can call me Koko which means ''stork'' in Japanese. So, yeah, I'm a stork. 
I'm filipino. I'm a graduate from the college of Nursing. I think i'm gonna be a doctor.


How did you get into art?

I was pretty much diggin it as far back as I can remember. Probably genetics.  

How will you describe your personal style?

I have had quite an interest in japanese anime back in my first year of high school
and up until now I believe it's noticable in some of my works. Then I turned goth in my junior and senior year where I began exploring grotesque artworks and I believe that's where the idea of surrealism came in. 

In college, I somehow drifted into making artworks in the style of children's story books where the figures looked friendly but with their eyes gouged out of their sockets and stuff. I like to express desertion, ominousness, moral decadence and the likes in my portraits. 

As for personal style I would say ''Surrealism.'' Also, I like minute details. I' m crazy about details. Fine lines and such. I almost always use pencil. I like putting floral details on beastly figures. For one thing, it sets that contrasting mood which makes an impact at the least to myself as i look at it. I just do it all to amuse myself but i wouldnt mind throwing in the idea of putting up an art show in Asia or somewhere in Europe- doesn't hurt to dream. Besides, from where I'm standing I can say that I still have a lot to learn. I have weak techniques that I need to work on. I'm not exactly a prodigy. But the passion is there.

What is the oddest thing that's ever happened to you?

Can't remember.  I have this Selective Memory thing going on so, I don't know. 

Where do you find inspirations?

Music. It fuels me. I start to work by emotion. Certain music (like Radiohead, Deftones or Bjork, etc.) trigger an emotional stir  and then I start to see things in my head and it sort of tries to summarize a certain part of it into artwork. Other stuff that make me go through a similar process would be books, travelling and daydreaming. It's sort of clairevoyant in a way. I just love it. 

Name artists you would like to work with or artists you look up to

Joshua Petker, Amy Sol, Sally Cruikshank, Justin Bau, Audrey Kawasaki and Marco Mazzoni to name a few. 

What are your future goals?

I'm planning to take on working in the medical field. Half of my heart is for lead-tainted, acrylic-based lucid dreams and the other half for cutting broken people open and fixing their insides. I pull through. and if I get to make my self lucky enough, I might actually do art exhibits. 








1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love his works. There's something about it that speaks to me. Hahaha. I wonder what that something is and what's it telling me. =))

    ReplyDelete